How to make a Popcorn Smoothie
I know what you’re thinking. Suzelle!? How did you come up with such a wonderfully creative flavour combination? Well, I didn’t.
It was the creative genius of my new friend Jan Hendrik van der Westhuizen. He is a very talented and gorgeous South African chef who has his own restaurant in Nice (which you say like “niece” for those of you who don’t know about French). He is the first South African ever to be awarded a Michelin Star! Wow.
Anyway. He visited my DIY studio and we made real magic together in the kitchen, which you can watch in the episode below. What a LOL we had!
P.S This is the most delicious smoothie you will ever drink.
You will need:
Fine sea salt
3 frozen bananas
Crunchy peanut butter
Here’s how to make perfect popcorn every time.
1) Heat the oil in saucepan on medium high heat.
2) Put 3 or 4 popcorn kernels into the oil and cover the pan.
3) When the kernels pop, add the rest of the popcorn kernels in an even layer.
4) Pop on the lid, remove from heat and count 30 seconds.
5) Return the pan to the heat. The popcorn should begin popping soon, and all at once. 6) Once the popping starts, gently shake the pan by moving it back and forth over the burner.
7) Try to keep the lid slightly ajar to let the steam from the popcorn release (the popcorn will be drier and crisper).
8) Once you can count four seconds between the pops then you know you are done.
Place your popcorn in a big bowl and season with salt.
And now for the caramel.
1) Heat the sugar, butter and syrup in a saucepan over medium -low heat. Cook stirring occasionally, for about 5 min, or until the sugar has dissolved.
2) Bring the mixture to a boil and cook without stirring for another 5-8 min or until it’s golden.
3) Line a tray with baking paper and spray some non stick spray.
4) Spread the popcorn onto the tray and pour your mixture over.
5) Set it aside to cool.
And now for the smoothie!
Pop your frozen bananas in the blender with your peanut butter and your caramelized popcorn. Don’t make it too fine. You still want to bite into the popcorn.